Friday, February 13, 2009

Candidates for SBDM Council

Below is a brief statement from each candidate.
In alphabetical order:

Cheryl Junion
"My name is Cheryl Junion. I would welcome the opportunity to serve on the SBDM Council and represent the parents and students of North Oldham Middle School. I would be able to serve having the vantage point of both my personal and professional background. My husband, Steve, and I currently have three children in the Oldham County School District. I have been actively involved in the school district as a volunteer in a variety of functions, including volunteering weekly at Liberty School and NOMS supporting teachers as an additional resource. I also had the opportunity to be the Chairperson for Kentucky Kids' Day this past year which allowed me to expand my knowledge of the PTSA and NOMS in general. In addition, I have had the opportunity to serve students and parents as a teacher in the state of Iowa for eight years prior to moving to Kentucky and bring additional teaching experience through my volunteer work with our church. Through this set of experiences and being a fellow parent, I would be honored to serve and represent you as part of the SBDM Council."

Leah Simpson
"My name is Leah Simpson. I would like to serve on the North Oldham Middle School SBDM Council. I have lived in Oldham County for the past eight years with my husband, Mark and daughter, Hailey. Hailey will be entering NOMS in fall of 2009 as a sixth grader from Liberty Elementary. Mark is the Senior Director of Legendary People for Texas Roadhouse Restaurants. I have spent the last eight years as a stay at home mom. During that time, I have volunteered in my daughter's classroom, served on the SBDM Council and on the PTA Board at Liberty. My family and I attend St. John's Methodist Church. Prior to moving to Kentucky, my family lived in the New Orleans, Louisiana area where I practiced law with an insurance defense firm. In addition to a law degree, I have a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration.

Over the past six years that my daughter attended Liberty Elementary, I have had many opportunities to volunteer and to be involved with the school. Serving on the SBDM Council at NOMS will allow me to continue to be involved. Since I have served on the SBDM Council at the elementary level, I already have some experience and insight into the responsibilities of the SBDM Council. I would appreciate your consideration when making your choice for SBDM representative."

No comments: