Monday, May 7, 2012

Candidates for SBDM

My name is Michael Byrne.  I have been a resident of Oldham County since 2006. In September 2012, I will have children in 6th, and 7th grade at NOMS.  Last spring I coached boy’s lacrosse at NOMS.  This past fall I coached the 6th grade field hockey team, and I will be coaching the 6/7th  grade field hockey team in the fall.  I have served as a parent representative on the SBDM Council at Goshen Elementary for the past 4 years.  During that time the council recommended both the hiring of a new principal and the transition from a mixed grade classroom format to single grade classroom format.  These significant changes were made in addition to the regular duties the council performs each year.     I would like to continue to serve the community in this capacity at NOMS.  I think htat my past experience makes me qualified to do so.   Sincerely, Michael Byrne   My name is Jennifer Finnigan, and I am excited about the opportunity to work on the SBDM council again.  My husband and I relocated from Dallas-Fort Worth to Hillcrest about three years ago. Together, we have three children in the Oldham County School System.  Shannon, who will be in 7th grade at North Oldham Middle School next year, Reese, will be in 4th grade and Drew will be in 1st grade, both at Goshen elementary.   To provide a little more background for those that do not know me, I earned my Bachelor’s in Kinesiology from Texas A&M University, and my Masters in Health Promotion at the University of North Texas.   Prior to starting a family, I worked in the AT&T Corporate Health Center at the AT&T World Headquarters in Bloomfield, NJ, and then worked for a prominent Dallas surgeon.  Both experiences fueled my love for wellness, and a healthy lifestyle which I continue to teach my family.  Currently, as a stay at home mom, I have been very active in Goshen elementary as a volunteer, as room mother and assisting various departments including teachers assistant, helping with the book fair annually, and regularly working in the library.  I feel it is my duty and responsibility as a stay at home mother to be as engaged in my children’s education, and help support the school in any way possible.   This past year, I was able to fill a 1-year vacancy on the NOMS SBDM council last year, and would like to continue this work for the next term.  By serving the 12 months, I was able to “get my feet wet” on the process and I would love the opportunity to continue this work.  For me, it is important to stay connected and in tune with our children’s educational experience.    I believe that by serving on this council again, I can continue to help maintain the high integrity and standards of excellence that North Oldham Middle School enjoys.  My background in wellness, consistent voluntary commitment to Goshen Elementary and NOMS, hands on approach to resolving issues, and my love for children and education will allow me to help serve this committee very well.  I enjoy working in a team environment, and working together to reach a common goal.  I believe the school experience should be fun, motivating, fair, challenging at all levels, and most importantly…should happen in an environment where everyone is treated as equals and respected.     Thank you for considering me for this role and allowing me to continue to help our school remain recognized as the ideal place to send your child to learn and grow.  I would consider it an honor and a privilege to serve on the committee.  Thank you.  

No comments: